Updating to the latest versions of Magento 2 is a must-do these days as the updates bring lots of fixes for this, still new, platform. If you are using Shopgate and are planning to update to Magento 2.3.4 beware of a major issue.
First of all, please review the official Magento Open Source 2.3.4 Release Notes.
On top of substantial security enhancements, the upgrade brings great platform and usability updates like Inventory management fix, Guest carts & customer carts merging, Improved caching, Fixed and Improved Bundle Products, Fixed Cart & Checkout bugs, Category page improvements, layered navigation fixes, product update, and promotional rules application. It’s really a great update and you need to install it.
If you are using Shopgate and you do not have the MSI (Multi Stock Inventory) module in Magento you will have major problems on Shopgate 2.9.23+.
The solution will be to reach out to Shopgate support and downgrade to version 2.9.16.
Beware of Enabling Magento’s MSI module, normally you should not have any problems but with some POS integrations, the MSI module creates a lot of issues.
What to do:
1. before updating check if you have the MSI module enabled – if yes, then you don’t need to worry about anything
2. if the answer is no, check with your dev team if you can enable the MSI module otherwise reach out to Shopgate support and ask them for the 2.9.16 package which does not have the MSI dependency.
Do be prepared for issues as downgrading to an older version of the Shopgate integrator won’t have all the functionality and bug fixes but at least you will have inventory and orders synchronization.
- Having an App shows the customer you are committed to providing the best possible experience to them
- Ability to market to customers that use a lot of Apps
- Push notifications
- Extra cost per month, extra development cost to maintain
- Extra integration to worry about (inventory/orders sync)
- Pushing clients away from your responsive site and thus affecting your global Email Marketing Automation and PPC efforts