If you have a physical retail store behind your Shopify website you can show your local inventory in free product listings on Google so people can see what’s available in-store. No ad campaigns are required!
We’re going to show you how you can set up a Local Inventory Feed from Shopify.
- You have to be in one of the following countries to have the “Free local product listings” functionality in Google Merchant: AE, AR, AT, AU, BE, BR, CA, CH, CL, CO, CZ, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, GB, GR, HK, HU, ID, IE, IL, IN, IT, JP, KR, MX, MY, NL, NO, NZ, PH, PL, PT, RO, RU, SA, SE, SG, SK, TH, TR, TW, UA, US, VN, ZA
- You will need a feed generator app installed on your store as the default Google sales channel does not offer this functionality.
In the following article, we are going to walk you through every step, from creating your feed in Shopify to setting up the program in Google Merchant.
How to set up the Local Inventory Feed on your Shopify Store
- Add app to your store: https://apps.shopify.com/essential-product-feeds
- Open the app by going to the Shopify Admin / Apps / Essential Product Feeds
- Click the Add New Feed button
- Set up the feed using the following columns
You will need to get the store code from your Google My Business account https://business.google.com/locations
Here is an example of a local inventory feed file provided by Google directly: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gFrJZGZfFnP-fMhaUB7e9YYbNy4ubKFj9vzlThslyLs/edit#gid=1
How to set up the Free Local Product Listings Program in Google Merchant
- Go to your Google Merchant account (https://merchants.google.com) and click on Growth / Manage Programs in the left navigation menu
- Search for the Free local product listing program and click Get Started
- Select your Country and click Continue (if your country is not in the list, the program is not available to you)
- Add your Business Group and upload the logo in rectangular (1000x500px) and square (500x500px) shapes
- Expand the country section and click on the Upload local product inventory feed
- Click on Add product inventory feed under Supplemental feeds
- Select type Local product inventory, pick your Country of sale and the language then hit Continue
- Name the inventory feed and choose the Scheduled fetch option
- Copy the exact name of your feed XML file together with the URL from the Essential Product Feeds app
- Click the Create product inventory feed button.
These are the exact same steps we are following to create Local Inventory Feeds in Google Merchant for our clients’ Shopify Stores.
You should be able to resolve all steps within 10-15 minutes but if you need any help, don’t hesitate to contact us! We’ll set it up for you for free!